Cybercriminals’ techniques and creativity have no bounder, when it comes to find victims on the Internet. Here are some of the more recent financial scam techniques and how to ensure Internet security:
- Phishing: the objective is to collect sensitive private data from Internet users, through sending emails purporting to a large number of people from a trusted organization (banks, insurance companies…). You can receive such an e-mail full of spelling errors for your electricity company starting like: “Your debit was declined by your bank […] If you fail to regularize your situation, we will suspend your supply of energy. This intervention will be charged to you. ” Then victims fall into the trap and provide themselves the required data (credit card number, ID card, bank, address …).
- Money laundering scam: also known as the Nigerian scam – is actually one of the oldest and most popular scamming schemes. Most of us already encountered it in an email inbox, in one form or another. This is an old scam, so it has evolve in various forms over the years.
- Pharming: this is more advanced, with such technique aiming at diverting connections, as indicated by the police: “This consists of forcing a DNS server to redirect a request not to access to the IP address corresponding to the true banking site but to the fake site that a cybercriminal will define by hacking the server. ” The lure is then complete.
- SMS scavenger: a mobile phone is also an excellent way to committing fraud, due to the high SMS fraud development. It may be misleading messages to encourage a premium rate number recall, opening fraudulent GSM lines, acquiring codes games on sites of “instant win” in order to win a prize.
- Fake antivirus software
You may have probably seen this message on your screen: “Your computer has been infected! Download antivirus XY right now to protect your computer!”. That is when you feel you should have been more careful about Internet security.
Many of these pop-ups were very well created to resemble actual messages that you might get from Windows or from a normal security product. So you should scan your system using a good antivirus product.
- Hacking smartphones: new types of phone do indeed have very large personal data storage capacities. And experts confirm an increased risk of piracy devices via the spread of viruses and other small malware.
We all hear about cybercrime. Let’s see how to be safe online. How to protect oneself from such scams on the Internet? Here are some hints:
- Sensitive files are not managed by e-mail
Service providers, such as your Electricity Company or bank will never ask for bank details by e-mail. In case of default payment, mails are sent directly to the homes of those involved. In case of doubt, following a received e-mail, simply call the concerned customer service department.
- Beware of faults
Attempts mail scams are often riddled with spelling and syntax errors. Sentences put wrong remind you that this is not an official email.
- The website is also a lure
To pay, simply click on a link pointing to a website which is just like the official site. Doubt of what you see, as cybercriminals are often up copying full real sites to make their victims feel trustful. Look closely at the website address and then compare it with the official website or even better, directly type the email address of the supplier concerned in the navigation bar.
- Never pay by money order
E-mail scams, including fake reviews bailiff, claim an amount to be paid by money order. This method of payment is one of cybercriminals’ favorite.
- Beware of outlandish offers
A hotel that pays you to test its services, a car at bargain prices because of divorce, people who ask for your financial support: the hidden exciting offers almost always scams. And the gullibility of the victims is the main weapon of crooks. Do not disburse a single penny for any gift.
- Protect your computer
Internet security is so important when surfing and buying online. For online purchases, check that the payment is done through a secure web site whose address begins with https. But this is not always enough, as a Trojan horse may have been installed on the computer and might wake up to tell the hacker figures typed on the keypad. Regularly update your computer and mobile devices operating systems and antivirus.
- Protect your internet connection
Enjoy Internet safety and internet security at all time! A VPN service encrypts your Internet with a highly secured system so that you can stay anonymous online, regardless of your use of the Internet (connection to your bank’s website, online shopping, use of social media, downloads, etc …). This is a good solution for a safe internet, at a low cost, to avoid online scam which will make you losing a lot.
Get Le VPN from $4.95 per month with a 7-Day Money-Back Guarantee and
Enjoy the Internet by Your Own Rules!
SERVERS IN 120+ COUNTRIES
EASY TO USE APP
7-DAY MONEYBACK GUARANTEE
SMARTDNS & HYBRIDVPN
CONNECT 5 DEVICES AT ONCE
ULTRA HIGH SPEEDS